Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Obon - Gathering of Joy

While we were up north this weekend we were able to attend Marysville Buddhist Church's Obon service and festival. Obon is an annual Japanese Buddhist festival to celebrate our ancestors who have passed. Most people who live in Japan will go back to their hometown during Obon and visit their family gravesite - clean their headstones and surrounding area, offer flowers and incense and celebrate with dancing. This was Tesshin's first Obon so we thought it would be nice to go back to Marysville, where Tessho is from. We were able to see a lot of his old friends. I haven't been to an Obon in so long I had forgotten most of the dances. I better bust out my Obon CD and relearn the steps. We had their Chicken teriyaki dinner. It was good. I won't say if it's better than San Diego Buddhist Temple's chicken teriyaki. I'll just say that it's just as good. Tessho's cousin sent over a happi coat from Japan so we dressed Tesshin in that for the festival.

No comments: